Thursday 19 April 2012

Oh What A Night...

Music For Freedom 2012...Oh what a night!!! It was truly amazing and so full of music, hope and love. I couldn't have imagined a better evening. 200 amazing people came to share in the night and almost $5000 was raised!


What can I say about the night. It was electric. It filled my heart with hope and love. The night opened with Glee @ Heart and they were perfect. They sang their hearts out. We practice every week, we have done a few shows, I have seen them so many times and still it brought me to tears. It is such an amazing choir. An amazing union of young and old. A perfect blend of music spanning generations. A heart warming sight to behold.


I am always so very proud of the grade 6's. They are such a kind and caring group. They work hard at learning the songs and they show their commitment coming to rehearsals every week for the entire school year. But most importantly, they visit with the seniors. I am always so touched by the way they will hold hands with the senior next to them, by the way they will give a hug to say hello, by the way they start up conversation and by the way they offer help whenever they can.


One of my favourite moments this year was a few weeks ago. One of the ladies had a board book about snowmen with her at practice. We arrived and the 6's took their seats and before we got started the lady started showing her book to the grade 6 student beside her. She started pointing to all the snowmen and saying "Well this is my Dad, and this is my Mom, this one here is my sister and this is me" and with complete acceptance and respect the student beside her listened and asked how old she was in the picture. It was such a simple moment but it spoke volumes to what that choir does. It transcends age and dimensia and depression and allows the young and old to just come together and connect from the heart.


That is what I saw on Saturday night...a sea of faces singing because they love to sing, a group of people who have connected in such a special way and a choir who can change the world. It makes me wonder...why aren't all schools and Long Term Care facilities built side by side?


So that was just the start! Then Chuck and Dave took the stage and totally entertained us. They are two of my favourite musicians...but more importantly they are two of my favourite people. Their energy filled the room and they had us singing along, clapping, laughing, crying and even some of us dancing! They moved us with their music. I was lucky enough to get a chance to be on stage and sing some songs with them. That is one of my favourite things in the world to do.


On top of all the great music...there were amazing people. People who came out to support 2 wonderful organizations and people who know us and love us. It was truly special to feel the love in the room...and I really feel as if I could have reached out and touched it.


I want to thank everyone who came out and those who supported even if they couldn't be there. You are what made the night such a success. We can make a difference and you all proved it that night. You are all wonderful and I feel so very lucky to know you all!


We are already looking to next year and know that it will be another amazing night. We will keep you all posted when we a pick a date and a venue!


Yours In Kindness...

No comments:

Post a Comment